Arts facility and events space, based in Bristol City Centre
Multi-use creative spaces
We are a studio complex, arts facility and events space, based in the Old Bridewell Police Station in Bristol city centre.
The Island is part of Artspace Lifespace. The charity recycles vacant, underused and problem properties into thriving creative resources. We host over 100 resident artists and boast a Circus Training Space, Dance Studio, artist studios, music studios, and a spacious art gallery.
Our normal capacity is restricted with distancing measures in place.
We ask that you wear a mask, if you are able to, in the communal areas of the building.
Get in touch with email@example.com for our full COVID safety measures.
Venues at The Island
The Dance Space runs a wide variety of classes and training sessions as well as being available for private hire.
Circus Training Space
The Island Circus Training Space offers many classes in circus-related disciplines, including silks, rope, aerial hoop, trapeze and acro yoga.
A beautiful large white and bright hireable gallery space with lantern ceiling and ancillary room located on the first floor of The Island.
The Island Venue
The licensed venue is available to host immersive performance, talks, exhibition and nightclub events.
Island Artist Studios
Work along side like minded creative people
- Exhibition: Welcome To My World, Big Jeff JohnsTuesday 16th November – 21st November 2021 For opening hours, please check Big Jeff Johns Art website, where they will be revealed nearer the time. The Island, Nelson Street, Bristol BS1 2BE, United Kingdom. “Art for me has been about expressing emotions I can’t explain another way. These paintings highlight my issues with barriers and […]
- The Mansion Through TimeAt Home With The Smyths – Ashton Court Mansion Eastenders has the Mitchells, Bristol had the Smyths. On June 25-27, Show of Strength brought us on a journey where we met characters from the dynasty that gave us Ashton Court Mansion. Impostors, buried treasure, a lost ring and it’s even better than a soap opera […]
- There is no freedom without responsibilityRestrictions might be about to go away, but Covid has not We published the Roadmap out of Lockdown in March 2021 at which time we stated that the capacity of events will be limited until we have evidence it is safe for us to lift them. The announcement of the lifting of most remaining Covid-19 restrictions in […]
- Keep it Arms LengthWords are more than conveyors of meaning – when used enough, when repeated like a mantra, when held by consensus, they can create cognitive boundaries between subjects and their objects. They can wall off the human from the humane. From the Book of Trespass: Crossing the Lines that Divide Us by Nick Hayes In 2020 […]
- Inspiral Residency InterviewLast month, Saskia Collyns and Maxine Sircana – the duo that make up Inspiral – held a Residency with us in our Circus Training Space. Here’s what we learnt about the adventurous pair. We are currently working on our first show as a company, ‘Interlaced’. We work with narrative-based circus using Aerial Straps, Aerial Hoop, […]