Arts facility and events space, based in Bristol City Centre
Multi-use creative spaces
We are a studio complex, arts facility and events space, based in the Old Bridewell Police Station in Bristol city centre.
The Island is part of Artspace Lifespace. The charity recycles vacant, underused and problem properties into thriving creative resources. We host over 100 resident artists and boast a Circus Training Space, Dance Studio, artist studios, music studios, and a spacious art gallery.
Our artist studios will remain open for studio holders who cannot work from home. Our other hireable spaces will be open only for live streaming, training, filming and rehearsals. All in-person classes and exhibitions are being postponed or rescheduled. Our normal capacity is restricted with distancing measures in place. The current maximum capacity of our dance studio with restrictions in place for example is 10 people + 1 teacher (2m social distancing in place).
Get in touch with email@example.com for our full COVID safety measures.
Venues at The Island
The Dance Space runs a wide variety of classes and training sessions as well as being available for private hire.
Circus Training Space
The Island Circus Training Space offers many classes in circus-related disciplines, including silks, rope, aerial hoop, trapeze and acro yoga.
A beautiful large white and bright hireable gallery space with lantern ceiling and ancillary room located on the first floor of The Island.
The Island Venue
The licensed venue is available to host immersive performance, talks, exhibition and nightclub events.
Island Artist Studios
Work along side like minded creative people
- Keep it Arms LengthWords are more than conveyors of meaning – when used enough, when repeated like a mantra, when held by consensus, they can create cognitive boundaries between subjects and their objects. They can wall off the human from the humane.From the Book of Trespass: Crossing the Lines that Divide Us by Nick Hayes In 2020 Bristol […]
- Inspiral Residency InterviewLast month, Saskia Collyns and Maxine Sircana – the duo that make up Inspiral – held a Residency with us in our Circus Training Space. Here’s what we learnt about the adventurous pair. We are currently working on our first show as a company, ‘Interlaced’. We work with narrative-based circus using Aerial Straps, Aerial Hoop, […]
- Artspace Lifespace to receive £45,500 from the second round of the Government’s Culture Recovery FundArtspace Lifespace is among more than 2,700 recipients to benefit from the latest round of awards from the £1.57 billion Culture Recovery Fund This award will primarily cover the charities overheads but will also provide some support for core staff costs. Artspace Lifespace has received a grant of £45,500 from the Government’s £1.57 billion Culture […]
- Interview with Chloe (NotNow Studio)As part of our continuing series profiling the brilliant people to make The Island tick, we sat down with Chloe from NotNow Studios for a (virtual) chat. Here’s what we found out… Tell us about your work? My studio is called Not Now Studio. I am a hand pulled screen printer. I share the space […]
- Halt HarassmentIt should not take a case of extreme violence for us to see that male violence permeates throughout our society – in our Government, our police, our workplaces, our nights out, and our individual actions. Throughout all these levels we need to make changes, so that no one feels the threat or result of male […]