Arts facility and events space based in Bristol city centre
Multi-use creative spaces
We are a studio complex, arts facility and events space, based in the Old Bridewell Police Station in Bristol city centre.
The Island is part of the Artspace Lifespace charity that recycles vacant, underused and problem properties into thriving creative resources hosting over 100 resident artists and boast a circus training space, dance studio, artist studios, music studios, and a spacious art gallery.
Our artist studios will remain open for studio holders who cannot work from home. Our other hireable spaces will be open only for live streaming and rehearsals. All in-person classes and exhibitions are being postponed or rescheduled. Maximum capacity is 10 people + 1 teacher (2m social distancing in place)
Get in touch with firstname.lastname@example.org for our full COVID safety measures.
Venues at The Island
The Dance Space runs a wide variety of classes and training sessions as well as being available for private hire.
Circus Training Space
The Island Circus Studio offers many classes in circus related disciplines, including silks, rope, aerial hoop, trapeze and acro yoga.
A beautiful large white and bright hireable gallery space with lantern ceiling and ancillary room located on the first floor of The Island.
The Island Venue
The licensed venue is available to host immersive performance, talks, exhibition and nightclub events.
Island Artist Studios
Work along side like minded creative people
- Open Studios photo seriesWe commissioned our photographer tenant Chandra Prasad to produce a series of photographs of Island tenants and staff for our Open Studios and ask them about how 2020 has been for them.
- Contra ProjectOur Circus Training Space is usually filled with some of the most talented and daring performers in Bristol. One of our favourites is the genre-defying, queer, and female-led Contra Project, made up of Laura Murphy and Nicole A’Court Stuart. The duo are committed to making, touring and supporting the development of politically engaged, interdisciplinary, and […]
- Robbie CathroAn interview with Island resident Robbie Cathro, an illustrator making colourful illustrations for kids magazines, children’s books and editorial pieces.
- Helen & RiseOur first Spotlight story is an interview with Island resident Helen Wilson from RISE Youth Dance Company.
- History of the Old Bridewell Police StationThe Island is based on the site where the Central Police Station used to be. Also known as the Bridewell, it is a historic building on Nelson Street, Broadmead, Bristol, England. It was built in 1928 by Ivor Jones and Percy Thomas and opened as a police station in November 1930 near the site of […]