Our small, friendly team work flexibly across multiple venues in Bristol
We are an equal opportunities employer and we encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of gender, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, religion or belief, socio-economic class.
We currently have a vacancy for a Bar Manager at The Island Venue.
Vacancy: The Venue at The Island – Bar Manager
Job Title: The Venue Bar Manager
Responsible to: The Island Centre Manager
Rate of Pay: £16 ph for Event shifts & weekly admin paid at £18933 pro-rata or £9.81ph (Scale 2 SCP 4)+
Location: The Island, Nelson Street, Bristol BS1 2BE
Hours: The post holder will be expected to work flexible hours where required.
Responsible for bar management shifts every second week subject to bookings. 4 hours per week for Admin tasks based at The Island.
Admin hours can be worked flexibly or from home if there are no club nights that weekend upon agreement of the Island Centre Manager. Hours of work for bar management shifts will vary – shifts may cover some of the following:
Club nights – Fridays and Saturdays, 9pm-3.30am (club nights finish at 3 but occasionally we extend the license for certain events).
There may also be requests for a bar to run occasionally for the following: Performance events – Mondays to Thursdays, 5pm-1am or bar events at Ashton Court Mansion.
This is an ideal role for music lovers who would like to lead a friendly, inclusive and motivated bar team to help us raise vital funds to support our charitable activities at The Island and across Artspace Lifespace.
ABOUT THE VENUE AT THE ISLAND
The Island Venue is a hidden arts and club venue in central Bristol with an industrial yet intimate feel found nowhere else in the city. Situated in the former police cells, outdoor training yard and motorbike car park, The Island Venue has a unique and industrial aesthetic to it and is literally an underground venue. The adjoining former training yard acts as an outdoor smoking area for the venue.
We work with promotors to ensure that The Venue hosts a unique blend of music, attracts fantastic crowds and that the atmosphere of our nights are fun, save and inclusive. We partner with Amber Audio to supply professional quality sound systems to ensure that our small grassroots venue has world-class sound.
The Venue can be hired until 00:30 Monday to Thursday and we open until 03:00 at weekends with extended opening hours optional.
The Venue is run by Artspace Lifespace Enterprises Ltd, the trading subsidiary of Artspace Lifespace. All proceeds from the Venue are donated back to the charity.
The Bar Manager is a job share role, overseeing and ensure effective running of the Venue Bar. We already have a co-manager in place who will be responsible for managing security, maintaining the conditions of the licence, overseeing bookings and dealing with promoters.
Your role will be to manage the bar staff, manage the bar stock and liaise with the Finance Officer re the finances.
You and your co-manager will share the ‘management of the night’ and will be the responsible bar manager on site every second weekend, with you and your co-venue manager providing cover for each other as required.
The Island Venue Bar Manager Responsibilities
- Understanding of and compliance with all licence conditions.
- Stock management including overseeing receipt of deliveries, stock-takes and reordering supplies in accordance with event trends/predicted consumption.
- Cashing up and cash management, including till maintenance and responsibility for cash floats.
- Liaising with the Finance Officer and Company Manager re cashing up weekly.
- Recruiting a pool of casual bar staff and supervising staff during shifts, managing staff contracts, timesheets and liaising with the Finance Officer.
- Staff organisation and staff rotas.
- Provide cover for Co-Venue Manager as required.
- Understand and uphold all Artspace Lifespace policies, in particular Health & Safety, Inclusion, Code of Conduct and Halt Harassment Campaign.
- Ensuring the safety of bar staff and patrons through good housekeeping and enforcing quality and safety controls.
- Ensuring the Venue Bar areas are safe, clean, tidy and presentable to the public at all times.
- Setting up for events and ad hoc tasks.
- Attendance at a fortnightly team meeting with co-venue manager and a member of the Island Team (Finance officer and or Centre Manager / Company Manager).
- Manage lost property.
- Liaising with cleaning company (shared responsibility with co-manager).
- Undertaking any other work as agreed with the Island Centre Manager / Artspace Lifespace Company Manager as may be appropriate for the position.
- Commitment to the values and objectives of Artspace Lifespace.
- Bar experience, in particular in a busy bar environment.
- Experience in cash handling and using electronic till systems.
- Reliable and punctual.
- Able to work efficiently on your own and be a good team player.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer care skills and a commitment to providing excellent service
- Understanding of issues around Health and Safety in a public space, licensing and implementing procedures.
- A flexible approach to work, including the ability to work unsociable hours.
- Excellent communication and team-worker.
- Supervisory / Management experience, plus experience of managing a team
- Numeracy expertise including management of excel/google sheets
- Event management experience
- First Aid qualification
- Fire Marshal training
- Health & Safety training
- Personal license holder
HOW TO APPLY?
Please send a CV and a cover letter / video to firstname.lastname@example.org stating why you would like to work for the Venue and why you are suitable for the role and a completed Equalities & Diversity Monitoring Form. If you are invited to interview you may be asked to carry out a practical exercise.
Artspace Lifespace is an Equal Opportunities employer and actively encourage applications from all backgrounds and communities. We recommended reading the job description and person specification thoroughly and describe exactly how you meet the requirements as this is the basis on which candidates will be shortlisted for interview.
Deadline for Application: 12pm Friday 15th October 2021
Interviews: WC 25th October. Start date in November 2021 shadowing the current Venue Managers.
Artspace Lifespace welcome applications from Volunteers.
Intern opportunities are normally paid and part-funded by Universities. These are ideal for creative’s and those wishing to develop a career in the arts and events.
We encourage individuals interested in specific projects to get hands-on and join us by volunteering and helping support our dynamic and creative artist-led projects. We have a variety of opportunities available throughout the year including volunteering to assist with invigilating at exhibitions, gathering inclusion monitoring data and stewarding at events. We helped set up the Friends of Ashton Court Mansion in 2019, which is always on the look out for volunteers, particularly those interested in researching building heritage, design or web development to present their findings.
You can sign up as a volunteer by emailing email@example.com stating what project you are interested in volunteering for or what skills you can offer to help support Artspace Lifespace.